HELLO TOM, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Age: 39 from Milan (originally from Munich/Germany, but I worked and lived in Milan since 2008. I worked internationally for my brands, I travel internationally, mostly for work, but also for pleasure.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
I usually go on short trips for business three or four times a month. I go on holiday twice per year. I usually go on a long trip in August, as our studio in Milan is closed for the whole month, and then in March to catch some sun during the cold winter months.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
That is a difficult question. I am a super happy person and like to have a lot of fun, not only when travelling.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I have a few well-travelled friends who give me some good advice on where to go. I am really into nature, both sea and mountain, and like to be in touch with it. This is why I definitely prefer backpacking to luxury pampering.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Experience, culture and nature are the most important factors when planning a vacation. The pleasure comes naturally.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Cheap (also expensive can be nice though!!)
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
It does not really matter to me. I like to go hiking in the mountains in winter, trekking in spring or fall and love the ocean in the summer. I am flexible and always find inspirational places whatever time of the year it is.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
No plan is the best plan. Every time I planned too much, it turned out to be a waste of time, as I ended up changing everything again while travelling. I love to be able to get carried away and to be spontaneous. It is important for me to have the freedom to discover places and people without a set schedule.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
I would like to discover South America, Argentina, Chile, Brazil and Cuba.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Life in general. Everything that surrounds me, my friends, for example. I actually like to be around friends, who are artists or musicians. I like to hear their way of thinking, which is usually very unconventional, rebellious and free of restrictions. I guess I will become an artist when I retire.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Curiosity and open eyes! Oh, and of course a great TOM REBL leather bike jacket, which works for every occasion and place!
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Shantala massage oil by World of Beauty (I simply love the smell of it!) Almonds to snack, Music, currently I am mad for Scott Matthew, Pen and paper to put down thoughts and ideas, Mobile phone mainly to take pictures.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Definitely a book, a newspaper and a magazine. I like the thought and effort that is put into print media. And it is haptic. It is real, physical and touchable.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
I had a very special moment when I was in Amsterdam in 2012 and I bumped into a friend from London, who I had not seen in over ten years. We watched the final of the Eurovision Song Contest together in a doggy basement bar. At the end of the night, we both ended up in tears, as I went back to Italy the next day. And we never lost touch again until today.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
London, Miami and Hong Kong
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
In Munich I can feel my roots.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I currently live in Milan. There is a lot happening at the moment. Milan was the host of the Expo last year. And the area Porta Nuova, where my Headquarter has been located for the past eight years, was recently revamped, which brought a more cosmopolitan feel to the city.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
Work. Italy is still the number one country for the production in fashion for the high-end market. My collections are entirely made in Italy. And I wanted to be close to the manufactury to learn and to oversee the process.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
It would be the soundtrack of Dirty Dancing. From rebellious Rock’n’Roll to romantic songs.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Scott Matthew, MUM.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Gipsy, spontaneous, nomadic, happy and lately also very sporty.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Wake up with a cuddle and a kiss,
Light breakfast and coffee,
homemade diner with friends,
falling asleep after sex.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Very important!! I just got back from Morocco, which is full of flavors, colors and spices. It was great to taste all kinds of new food. It is part of exploring a country or a culture.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
La Segheria / Milan
Kutchiin / Munich
Osteria Francescana / Modena
Yauatcha / London
Yam´Tcha / Paris
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Live and let live. It is as simple as that.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Conquer the world, work less and travel more.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TOM FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.