HELLO THOMMY, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I'm 48 years old and live in Frankfurt am Main. Me and Sabine Mühlbauer are the owner's of MORGEN interiors. We create concepts for public und private places, trade with furniture, we have our own furniture collection and a workshop about everything.
Travelling is important for me, first to get new inspirations and second to get recreation. From time to time, the one or the other is more important to me. It depends on what I need more.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
Usually, I'm on the road almost every month. Often only for two days. Mostly for work.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
When I was young, I walked a trail from Mexico to Guatemala, far away from any civilization. There was only one pub, and there was this evening, when the movie „Das Boot“ with Herbert Grönemeyer was shown in Spanish. It was the time when the Berlin Wall fell, and for many years I had been the first German there and therefore I was a star fort he people. We had a great night, but for me it was very bizarre and funny at them same time.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I decide if a trip makes sense or is good for me.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
If it's a private trip, I love to recover and have fun doing it. It should be comfortable and as easy as possible.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Relaxation
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARD - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Cheap
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I like to travel in the spring and in the fall. Rather off-season. It is quieter and cheaper, and there are not that many people.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I like the evenings and the mornings. The morning refreshes me, and the evening recovers me.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I prefer the routine and places I know. Previously, I was more the adventurer, but today I enjoy famous places, the people and languages.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
Next, I would love to visit New York with the kids.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
New York. It is the most inspiring city. I think not only for me, but also for my sons.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
You should always have enough money with you. Everything else you can buy.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Toothbrush, money, pants, T-shirts and socks.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
A little bit of everything.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
When I was with my children in Brazil. That was a really good time and has united us. We had a small car and drove from Sao Paulo to Rio along the sea. It took several days, and it was a great feeling to arrive in Rio.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Rio, Barcelona, New York, Sao Paulo and Rome.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
Rio, I would love to live there. Second row to a beach. In Rio, there is everything, mountains, lakes and the beaches are insane. Feeling really at home there ...
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Frankfurt, and I like that it is located close to the river and that it is a very international city.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
It just happened. Family, partner, job, children. It was not a choice or a decision. But it's okay. I enjoy being here.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Electronic Dance Music, a little bit of TECHNO
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
BAD KINGDOM by DJ Koze
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Relaxed, exciting, entertaining, pleasure-oriented, authentic
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
The perfect day begins with a good night’s rest, a good breakfast, spending time with the beloved ones, nice lunch, in the evening a great meal with friends and then going dancing with the best music out there.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Food is very important for me. It always has to be good. If it's something new, it doesn't have to be too experimental. Quality and authencity are important.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
BALTASAR ( NY )
KINOSHITA ( Sao Paulo )
OSAKA ( Buenos Aires )
CANPILOT( Ibiza )
BORCHARDS ( Berlin )
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Live and let live and enjoy everything you like ...
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
I want to do a good job and treat my people well.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH THOMMY FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.