HELLO THOMAS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE. (www.lesstalktravelmore.com)
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I come from the river Ruhr, from a small town called Marl. I am 33 years old. Travelling renews my thinking, inspires me and makes me feel alive. It makes me come in contact with other cultures and change my “everyday rhythm”.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
I use my converted VW bus as often as possible. Sometimes it is only for a weekend vacation. But every vacation, no matter how, is good.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
I cannot say that there is only one experience. Since I have so many memories and remember funny moments, it is difficult to select a single one.
A very funny moment was when I made friends on a hike in Iceland and it had been raining cats and dogs, and a fairly strong wind blew. Our clothes were soaking wet. My buddy Moritz was not quite adequately clothed for the weather and was wearing suede shoes better suited for a club or just a walk. This was already a comic comedy. Actually, our plan was to walk to a hot spring. Then Moritz had the plan to hop on a rock in swamp to get to the other side. But the stone was slippery and he fell to his waist into the swamp. At first, it was a shock, since it also could be dangerous because of the depth etc., but after we noticed that all was well, we just had to laugh. Then Moritz went with his whole body. The next morning, even Moritz’s tent was completely under water, but he still slept until 12 o’ clock. It was a really funny situation.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
Time is an important aspect for me when travelling. If I have little time on one trip, my next trip will just be “simple”. Probably a bike ride. Since I always take my dog with me, I have to plan quite differently.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Recovery is important to me on vacation. Most important are adventures for me. I distinguish quite clearly between travelling and vacation.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Both depents if Travel or Holiday
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - something in between
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I like spring very much because this season is symbolic for me and means to start something new. It lures me into travelling. One can also sleep outside compared to the fall or winter. Equally, there are fewer people on the go. Everything is still a bit sleepy and has a special atmosphere.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
The very early morning when the day awakens is one of my favorite times of the day. Everything is so quiet and radiates peace like at night, when everyone is asleep.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I am a discoverer. I like to discover everything myself without a guide or great planning. This leaves room for adventure for me.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
This year, I want travel in Germany. I know many other countries better than my home country.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Music. Great Books. People, who do extraordinary things. Art tours.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Probably my reading lamp that is simple ultra convenient.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
1. Reading lamp, 2. Book, 3. Pins, 4. Gas cooker, 5. Sleeping bag
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Book. I write texts, ideas and calendar entries with a pen and paper. I will not do without pen and paper. I need the haptic connection.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
Actually, it is people who come to my mind. Quite a lot of wonderful people and encounters enriched my travel, and I was able to experience unique and spontaneous moments that just happened.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Reykjavik, Berlin, Tarifa.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Berlin. I love the variety there. It is a huge city, but it has so many microcosms that it is also small and you can submerge in it. Berlin is, on the one hand, incredibly warm and inspiring, and, on the other hand, ugly and repulsive. But all of this makes the city real to me.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
The music, my calling, has led me here. Musically, there is a lot going on here, which is great. Actually, I'm not a city person, but Berlin captured me straight away.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Electronic music, heavy metal, and in contrast, soulful singer songwriter music.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
RY X, Maribou State
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Simple, conscious, sustainable, otherwise grateful.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Swimming in the sea, breakfast, surfing, reading, eating lunch, playing music, having sex, food, dancing.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Food is my life. Therefore, I consider well what I eat. My body is there for me and allows me to do what I want in life, so I put great emphasis on a healthy and conscious nutrition. Without this, I would probably have too little energy to do that what I'm doing.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
My Wok in Cologne is the only name I can remember. I prefer small familiar places that I find just passing by.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Trade a good feeling. Trade, not to get into a good feeling.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
At the moment, I am satisfied with myself. That I do everything joyfully.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
I would abolish fear.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH THOMAS FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.