HEY IRO, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I am 23 years old and I come from Thessaloniki, Greece. My professional background has been around digital media and e-commerce. For the past three years I have been working as a digital influencer (@hiroine & hiroinetheblog.com) and have been running my personal handmade clothing line. At the moment, I am launching a new e-commerce related start-up so stay in the know for updates!
Traveling is a huge part of my life since I find that it’s a form of education. I love experiencing new cultures. However, the nature of my job has been letting me travel around, meet with my clients and also produce content.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
I am traveling around Greece all the time but I attempt to travel overseas at least 3-4 times a year.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
I can recall hundreds of funny experiences but a particular one that comes to my mind is when I got lost in Beijing. Chinese people don’t really speak English and thus it was a great struggle to go around the city. I was lost but found my way back after 4 hours. Imagine walking around without 4G. Some people would have cried but I laughed my heart out along the way.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
As a typical Sagittarius, I have a bucket list where I add all those amazing places I want to visit. At the moment I am more into discovering South Africa since I am very fond of the culture as well as the fashion scene. There’s always an incentive with regards to the kind of inspiration I would like to receive.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
I would pick all of the options apart from relaxation.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Both
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I prefer traveling during winter to warmer places. Summer is my favourite season so I want to get the most out of it in every place around the world.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I love the sunrise - as you’re guessing I’m an early bird. I love the idea of new beginnings and sunrises keep reminding me of them.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I’m more of a discoverer and I like being spontaneous with regards to the planning of the trip.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
The people, history, food, smells, sounds a.k.a. cultures!
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
I always make sure I get something non-physical which however has a huge presence during the trip; a positive attitude.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Hand sanitiser, wallet, sunglasses, contact lenses, action camera.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
I wanted to pick book but then again I am always carrying my cell phone. I am always posting on social media since I fall for the real-time communication. Staying connected to friends and family during a trip means that they experience part of it with you.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
With regards to traveling, I always remember the first time I traveled overseas on my own. It was a trip from London to Boston. As a newbie in solo traveling, I was very conflicted when it comes to my fears and “what-if’s”. I managed to overcome them and spend an amazing time in the US. Being able to travel alone gives you a degree of freedom and independence on a whole new level.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Hong Kong, New York, Bangkok.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
At Soho in Hong Kong island.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
At the moment I live somewhere between Athens and Thessaloniki and also aim to spend some time in London. I love changing environments in that frequency. It keeps me in motion!
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
Due to business obligations.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Okay so I named three places, thus I will provide music for each one. Thessaloniki: Soul House, Athens: Techno, London: R&B
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
House music but lately I’ve been listening to Drake (oops, guilty pleasure).
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Casual, Busy, Outgoing, International, Healthy.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
A day at the beach, some wake boarding, tacos and house music.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Extremely important. You can unveil and understand cultures through food!
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Ling Ling (Mykonos)
Chotto Matte (London)
Classified (Hong Kong)
Grada Nuevo (Thessaloniki)
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Live for the moment.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Work-wise, I am now launching a brand new venture which I am overly excited about and travel-wise, plan a trip to Cape town, ASAP. In the long-term I want to make sure I travel all around the world and manage my time creatively.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Help people understand that we should live for the moment. Realise the power of now and how precious it is. We tend to get caught up in our daily routines and forget to realise that we should make the most out of our time. Also, promote spontaneity!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH IRO FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.