Tuesday Talk with: Michael Schauer - Regnumsaturni Landscape Photographer
HELLO MICHAEL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF
A NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESSTALKTRAVELMORE.COM
1. SO... TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Hi and thank you for the opportunity to talk a little about myself and the stuff I do. I’m Michael, a 25 year old photographer and sociology/philosophy student from Munich, Germany. My job is mainly my own photography but I also work as a photo editor for a local start up here in Munich
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
As often as time and money allow me to! This year I made it a goal to travel more often because it’s the year I finish university and want to see a bit of the world to grow my portfolio and make new experiences.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
It might have been a visit to the Icelandic Philological Museum in Reykjavik. It was just so bizarre but funny and interesting to see all those… exhibition pieces in one room.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
Since I’m a photographer, I want to visit places where I can take great pictures.
My trips are often day trips to destinations not more than 200 kilometers away from Munich. So when I plan a new trip I use google Maps and often instagram or 500px to search for nice places that I want to see and photograph. Most other things come secondary after that for me.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
As said, places where I can take great pictures or tell a story are the most important factors. When I am able to photograph I’ll happily endure everything else since photography kind of is my way of relaxing. It always helps to have great travel buddies of course but I also like to do some exploring on my own.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION – Motion.
COURAGE OR ANXIETY – Courage.
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART – Adventure.
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE – cheap, since I’m a student and basically always saving for gas money, flight tickets or new camera equipment, haha :)
COLOR OR NO COLOR – No Color.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I’m somehow driven to the colder regions of the planet so I’d say fall and winter but it really depends on where you are going. The only thing I dislike a bit is blazing heat.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
When I’m at home: Late evening or night because I get most of my work done pretty late.
When I’m on the road: Early mornings near water or in forests when it’s foggy.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I think it helps to have some waypoints or landmarks and things that you definitely want to see, but not too many. You still want to have time for spontaneous visits or stops on the side of the road to shoot the one scenic view you just saw or just have something nice to eat.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
Since my next vacation will be Scotland, the obvious answer is this. Besides that, southern New Zealand, the Antarctic, Spitzbergen, Greenland and Iceland.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Music, Books, other photographers, stories, everyday life and experiences that we all make, I guess.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A
TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
More money than you think you’ll need, a power bank for your mobile phone and a camera if that’s your thing.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
My camera, my phone, a power bank, a small snack and plenty of water.
14. BOOK; NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESNTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
The melancholic and melodramatic teenager in me would love to say book but I think it’s more accurate to say some kind of smart device like an iPhone because it’s hands down the thing that I have in my hands most of the time and use for almost every task from planning trips and navigate, talking to friends, reading up on news to taking photographs as well.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
the moment when I decided that photography really is my thing and that it’s the thing I want to do for the rest of my life- for now.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Reykjavik and Munich
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
I’d say southern Germany, Bavaria and Munich. I’m born and raised there, lived there all my life till now and I like to be there very much.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in a small town near Munich but let’s assume I live in Munich for that one. Some people will strongly disagree but I feel that Munich has a warm heart, beautiful architecture that is really unique in Munich, a small but great art and music scene and just the overall quality of life is great.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I kind of was born and raised here and had no reason to move away yet.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Something airy and huge- maybe the ambient sound cathedrals of Tim Hecker
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
As of now I’m listening to more podcasts/talks than music, especially „The art of photography“ on youtube and „Benventures“ or „Kittchentalk“, which are also great photography/ creative business podcasts on iTunes but the last album I really got into was „Ein Ende“ by Captain PlaneT
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Do what makes you happy.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Basically every day is a perfect day because I’m lucky enough to be physically and mentally able to do all the things that I love in life, as well have been given the opportunity to do those things (mostly photography, eating, sleeping and making new friends and experiences) on a very frequent basis. Sometimes more sometimes less but it has been long since I had a day which just downright sucked, which I’m very thankful for.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
I have to admit that I’m really really un-demanding of my food. I love Pizza with way too much cheese on it, haha.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
I’m not sure whether I actually could name restaurants but my favorite one would be „Café Katzentempel“ in Munich. They are an incredibly tasty vegan restaurant and they have cats living inside the rooms. I love cats.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
I imagine Sisyphos a happy man.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Expand on photography and making it a full time business, see even more places, make a movie, write a book and tell many stories, leaving my mark on the world, get old and hopefully not too grumpy.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Making everyone more empathetic for everyone else.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.