Tuesday Talk with: Claudia Fischer-Appelt from KARL ANDERS - STUDIO FÜR BRAND PROFILING
HELLO CLAUDIA, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF
A NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESSTALKTRAVELMORE.COM
1. SO... TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I am 39 years old – certainly for several years now :) and I run a designstudio together with my partner in Hamburg. I’m definitely a (german) northerner. My father used to be a marine officer, so we moved and traveled around a lot since I was born. We never lived in one (harbour) city for a long time and I think that really had a big impact on me.
Now, I kind of settled down in Hamburg because sometime, somewhere you have to - but I travel a lot, preferably to the coast.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
Short trips every month, holidays 4 times per year? Don’t get me wrong, I’m working hard the rest of the time ;)
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Let me think. I remember a wild trip to Austria (in summer) with my girlfriend Christina, where a chain of bizarre never-ending-traditional-nature-alp-celebration happened... (no further explanation). Most of the time, the funniest moments are the unexpected. Like me, finding myself singing karaoke in NY the last time...
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I try to keep a balance between inspirational cities and relaxing sea/beach/landscape places.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
I could walk through unknown cities forever but I force myself nowadays to classical relaxation like swimming in the sea or doing a stupid puzzle to calm down.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION – Motion.
COURAGE OR ANXIETY – Courage.
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART – Adventure, did anybody ever said something else?
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE – Both.
COLOR OR NO COLOR – Both.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
It really doesn’t matter to me, but in general I go for sun :)
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
From dusk till dawn :)
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
My daily life is structured and planned enough, therefore I love to discover.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
Tokio again. The city amazed me.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Oh, a lot, but the keyword is „quality“. That can be a good exhibition, an unseen picture, nice food, crazy ideas, foreign people, a talk, a walk...
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A
TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
I learned in the last years that it’s not my computer, so I’d say sunglasses and my favorite candy bar (don‘t know why).
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Bad issue. It’s a challenge every time for me, I am a lousy packer, always missing something... On my last trip I even forgot a whole bag at home....unbelievable ... But when I have my bag with me, there are always a lot of shoes.
14. BOOK; NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESNTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Magazine. Crystal clear. I love pictures and paper. I am addicted to them, I collect them, I use them for my collages, I buy every new one I see, I carry a ridiculously amount while traveling (to hurting shoulders) but of course I appreciate a good book as well :)
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
The moment I quit my job and started to be a creative.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
New York, Berlin, Tokio, Hongkong, Barcelona. Yes, I do like the metropolises.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Hamburg and I like it its beauty the most. There is water everywhere: Elbe, Alster, very close to the sea ... and Hamburg is ok big for the cultural life.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
Because of love reasons.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Hm, these days I’d say classical music. The whole world is waiting for the opening of the Elbphilharmonie. There will be a great (not necessarily classical) program.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
That depends on my mood and the time of the day, for example yesterday I started with Efterklang in the morning, later Crystal Castles, Nosaj Thing, Recondite during day and David August while running around the Alster.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Quality, quality, quality (not a money thing!)
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
First of all it starts with staying in bed long, adding several coffees (they are mandatory!) and loud music while just waiting for things coming up. Ok, nice would be a perspective for a long night ...
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Very very very, my top amazing experience was a sushi restaurant in Tokio, I was literally swept off my feet.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Sushi Mizutani, Tokio
Fritzis around the corner of our studio
The Table, Hamburg
Nobu, Hong Kong
Granja Viader, Barcelona
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Take your pleasure seriously.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Less plans, and a coaching in video cut.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
No more remorse.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.