Tuesday Talk with: Chef Kiko Martins, Cuisine Chef, Lisbon
HELLO KIKO, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE. (www.lesstalktravelmore.com)
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I am 37 years old, borned in Rio de Janeiro and I am a Cuisine Chef. Travelling is very important to me because allow me to charge my “cooking GPS” with more maps.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
At this point about 5 times per year.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
It’s complicated to choose only one. I have so many. The funniest part of a journey is always the unexpected and I can tell you, for example, that go to the Tokyo’s fish market at 5.30 am it’s, definitely, fun.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I always seek for countries that I don’t know and, of course, the gastronomy.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Quality time to spend with my wife and kids.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Balanced
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
Winter because I like to stay in Lisbon during the Summer.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
Discoverer, absolutely. I am always eager to find out new things.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Open mind to enjoy new experiences.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
I don’t always have the same things on my bag.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Cell phone because the versatility that it offers. With one of those you can work, communicate with everyone or simply take a time to relax.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
My kid’s birth.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Oaxaca, Cusco, Kyoto, Varanasi and Rio de Janeiro.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Lisbon and I love everything that this beautiful city has to give.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I haven’t chosen. The things simply happened this way.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Nomadic, careful, active, concerned and inventive.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
It’s a day which I have time to make everything that I am propose to.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
It’s one of the most wonderful things in life. The taste of something new is always a surprise.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
The Fat Duck, Tickets, Quique Dacosta, Momofuku and Salsa e Coentros.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Everything you don’t give, you lose.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Keep to bring some kindness and warmth to the bellys of the people who visit my restaurants.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH KIKO FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.