Tuesday Talk with: Gerold Brenner, Designer, Influcencer, Trendsetter
HELLO GEROLD, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE. (www.lesstalktravelmore.com)
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I was born in 1962 and come from Lindau at Lake Constance. I have already lived in Munich, Dusseldorf, Lausanne, Basel and Zurich. Tourism is important to me to get to know cultures. I like architecture, old or new, museums, exhibitions, concerts and operas, always looking after others. I like to travel away from the usual routes. It has, of course, much to do with my job as trend researcher and designer, since I always search for new things and impressions. I like to see unique landscapes and relax by the water.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
Very different. Mostly, I combine work with city trips or nature.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Oh funny, I do not know if my holidays are so funny. I like meeting new people and have fun. I have met so many wonderful people and had good laughs with them. An evening with lots of laughter was certainly the time spent with Woody Allen in a New York restaurant, an incidental acquaintance, where I ended up at his table.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I will visit a friend in Canada. It will be more a vacation in the nature. I love nature.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
I think, a little bit of everything. I always liked random crowds and organized events. I am too much of an individualist. Relaxation and new impressions are important to me. Just the beauty of seeing the world.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Relaxation, which does not contradict movement, but no sporting challenges.
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage with respect...
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - ...to adventure, but this need not be bungee jumping and the like. This can be the discovery of a unique business in the city jungle, or even a remote place in a gorgeous natural environment.
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - The balance is important, it does not matter whether it is expensive or cheap
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color ... but how beautiful is the endless beige of a desert.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I prefer to not to go on school holidays or weekends because then, all is quiet and authentic. Venice in winter after Carnival is a dream.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
The night - it has a certain tranquility.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
Clearly the explorer - even to places that I know - I always take a different route and discover something new.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
People and the nature.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
I always take my notebook or phone so I can take pictures and a good book.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Water bottle, phone (although it is often offline on vacation), notebook with pen pockets, sunglasses.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Through my blogs, I am of course much of an electronic media fan. Some magazines. But the books must be printed and bound. I love it when paper and ink smell right!
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
I think those were the cruises as a child with my parents. While on vacation, most of the time is impressive.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
A city with inhabitants, where everything is manageable, but which includes cultural and social amenities of a world metropolis. An easy way of life is possible here in Switzerland.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
Because I like to live in Switzerland. From here, I can get to a lot of places quickly. It is in the center of Europe. It has a quality of life and has lots of nature. You can be yourself here. People are very tolerant.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
A Bossa Nova.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Luxery-Hippy, Dandy-attitude, Denimlover, Vintage-Hobo, Craftsman
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
A day by the sea then a go to the opera and after that a nice midnight dinner.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Really important. I am a vegetarian because spices and the basic flavor of a product are very important always to explore to have an enriched life.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Ciro & Sons - Florenz
Stucki - Basel
Prinz Myshkin - München
Mildred’s - London
Pastis - New york
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Never say ever!
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
I want to extend my collection and live in harmony with nature.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Peace for everyone.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH GEROLD FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.
Pic: by Alexander Palacios