Tuesday Talk with: Tilmann Köllner, Radio presenter @1LIVE/DJ, Music Consultant @ larryvanhousen.com
HELLO TILMANN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I am 35 years old and from Frankfurt/Germany. I am a radio presenter @1LIVE/DJ and a music consultant @ www.larryvanhousen.com. It is the essence of our existence, or at least it should be, because it makes you rich at heart and mind.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
I feel like I am constantly moving because I live between two cities (Frankfurt and Cologne). As a DJ, I get the chance to travel in Europe and sometimes even further. But I also try to do one big trip at least each year private to see something else and to broaden my horizon.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
There are so many, here are just a few that immediately come to my mind: - In Mexico, I hitchhiked with my best friend and we ended up on a pick-up truck carrying onions. The guy dropped us at one of the best beaches in the South of Mexico, where we stayed for a couple of days sleeping right at the beach having breakfast and dinner with a local family.
- In Japan, we toured with my band Wagner Love. We played in sold out clubs and the people where able to sing our songs. That was just absurd.
- Just recently, in Sri Lanka, I accidentally travelled in a 3rd class train wagon with my girlfriend. It was horribly packed, unusually humid and funny at the same time.
- I also went on a boat trip to watch dolphins recently on the Maldives, and they jumped out of the water everywhere as the guide shouted: „Jump for us!“
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I rely on my friends’ experiences and like to talk to people a lot about travel destinations to get an inspiration. I never visit a place twice until I have seen everything that is still on my list. Right now, I am planning a trip to South Africa and am also thinking about visiting South America. I always try to find a balance between traveling and relaxation. I like to experience something new, things unknown to me but to relax as well.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Both
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - A decent amount of courage without being totally crazy
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Somewhere in the middle. I try to take it as it comes and stick to the local scene. I do not need a lot for myself. But once in a while, a little bit if luxury is necessary to be able to enjoy the holidays. This can be an ice cold Coke after an adventurous journey through the desert.
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color is one of the things that amazes me the most while travelling.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I love the sun, but I also appreciate the snowy mountains. It all depends and needs to go hand in hand with the destination and with what I am doing. If I go to the Alps, I do not expect to be able to wear a T-shirt all the time.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I like to sleep so it is rather the evening or the nighttime, for example driving through Bangkok in a Tuk Tuk seeing all the lights and letting everything touch my senses. But I also like to get up early to see the sun rise, especially on holiday - I hardly ever do this at home because I work late.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
Definitely discoverer. I must confess that I really have a bad sense of orientation, so I need to rely on people and go with the flow.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Music. Music. Music. Fashion, art, people.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Music. Sunscreen lotion (when going to a warm country).
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Iphone with music, a bluetooth speaker, a good book, sunscreen lotion.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Definitely the iphone because it suits all my needs and can help me out with a GPRS or the number of my best friend.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
See above. Mostly the unexpected moments like accidentally riding on a 3rd class train make good memories. That was kind of horrible at the time but it is the kind of story to tell one’s children.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
San Francisco, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Frankfurt.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
When I am with my girlfriend or my best friends – it does not matter where. And Frankfurt my hometown.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
Frankfurt is the smallest metropolis in the world. I call it a big city for beginners. We have everything to compete with the real big ones: great bars (The Parlour), nice shops (Uebervart), Clubs (Robert Johnson, Offenbach), good food (Äppelwoi Kneipen like Solzer, or hip places like Stanley Diamond or Chairs) our river Main, nice people, people who hustle, rich people, just everything.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I kind of got stuck here because of my band in 2003 and never really left for a longer time period. But I just love it. I also partly live in Cologne now, which is becoming a second hometown for me - it might have to do with the name.:-) But the people here I also very nice, and I love my new job at 1LIVE.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Hard techno with a touch of cheesy RnB.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
This would take pages and ages here - I won’t even start, if you don’t mind ... :-)
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Music, travel, hustle, love, people.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Getting up after some hours of sleep next to my girlfriend, being able to hear the waves, watching them as I open my eyes, a good coffee, fresh fruit, a boat trip, afterwards exploring a new big city and then having a drink and a good dinner with friends and beers as the sun goes down, a good beach partying with my DJing ... That would be a perfect day to me.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
I am not a big gourmet but I always try to eat local. It is the key to every country and culture, and should be part of every journey.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
I am not able to recall names. I like to just get somewhere, eat and have a good time. Names are not important to me.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Live and let live and do it with a smile. Life is too short to worry or to be angry.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Travel, play music, listen to music and eventually have a healthy and happy family someday...
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TILMANN FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.