Tuesday Talk with: Daniel Woeller, Photographer and Director
HELLO DANIEL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
My name is Daniel Woeller and I am a photographer and director. I just turned 50, and I live with my family and three children in Frankfurt, Germany. As I mainly shoot on locations, I travel a lot. I love travelling, and it is important to me to get inspiration and fresh influences from foreign places. I try to reflect on this in my work.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
This changes. On average maybe six times per year outside of Germany for productions, plus family holidays.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
There were many funny experiences. Basically every trip is filled with lots of fun. When I look back, the funniest experiences were not so funny when they happened.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I try to convince my clients to send me to interesting or spectacular places. I like to be part of the art direction and offer ideas and concepts to my clients who appreciate this. In my job, I have to propose where I would shoot a certain idea or layout. I also travel with my family and friends.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
I am very curious, so I am always looking for surprises.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage (I presume)
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - I do not care at all. I find a lot of luxury in really down-to-earth basic places, and also bad taste in expensive surroundings. Expensive places tend to make lazy.
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Both can be very inspiring
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
All the time, although I prefer warmth, sun and especially light at sunset.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I like the atmosphere of dawn and sunrise, but also dusk and night.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
Definitely a discoverer.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
I love Europe and I am sure there is still so much to discover! ... but also Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, India, Asia......
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
My wife, my kids, friends, people, the world around me (while travelling, strolling and walking around), movies, French nouvelle vague and Italian neo-realism, documentaries, art, music, memories.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
A camera of course (even if it is only inside my phone) ... but that really depends on where the trip is going.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Sunglasses, Emser Pastillen, Aspirin +C, passport, credit cards, iphone and laptop. I seem not to be too dependent on things. I like to rent out things when I need them.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Maybe mobile phone and laptop. I hope that I am not defined through these items. I work a lot with my visual memory, and I always have a huge selection of moods in the form of music on my iphone. It is like a diary to me.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
As a grownup, meeting my wife, being there when my three children were born. As a kid, exploring holiday places together with my dad and my younger brother.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
To live? Definitely Frankfurt (home) and then New York, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Berlin, Hamburg. For work? Benidorm, Sorrento, Ischia, Antibes, Los Angeles, New York.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
Definitely in Europe. I totally feel and see myself as a European. I feel at home in my hometown Frankfurt. I can feel myself at home quite easily and fast everywhere I go, but definitely my favorite place on earth is Europe.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Frankfurt. It is my home. I have my family and closest friends here, my roots, my dreams, my memories... Frankfurt is open-minded, international and we have seasons. We have the Taunus, we have Äppelwein, we have green sauce and “Handkäs mit Musik”. To me, Frankfurt always seems to be a little underestimated.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I was born here and I have not yet felt the need to move away.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Okay, to name something, at the moment I listen to Warren Ellis’s soundtrack from the fantastic Turkish movie “Mustang“, I also like his album with Nick Cave, I like Deejay Sets and playlists from artists like Dj Koze and Dixon, and of course I spontaneously scroll through my memories of the last 38 years ... New Wave, Brit Pop, Punk, Elektro, Techno, Soundtracks, Minimal, Chansons, Hildegard Knef ... whatever.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Curiosity, caring, burning, loving, trusting, believing
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
If everything happened exactly as I expected it, it could never be the perfect day. The perfect day has to offer some surprises to me. I feel blessed remembering so many perfect days in my life.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Come on! I am 50 years old now and I do not say that food is the erotic of the aged.
No honestly, I love good food. My wife is spoiling me and our kids, family and friends with the most amazing food creations that one can think of. Check it out yourself every Wednesday at Pracht, Frankfurt. You will get addicted.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Grossenwahn - Frankfurt
Heimat - Frankfurt VaiVai - Frankfurt Chairs - Frankfurt Lobster - Frankfurt
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
“Ich schulde dem Leben das Leuchten in meinen Augen“
(Erobique & Jacques Palminger “Wann strahlst Du?“)
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Only one thing? Impossible. It would help to get rid of human feelings like envy, greed, jealousy ... and to cure the worldwide dullness.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH DANIEL FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.