HELLO SASKIA, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE. (www.lesstalktravelmore.com)
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I am a designer, with my own label, based in Munich, mainly doing jewellery. Being on my way creates a freedom in my mind, no matter where I am heading, if it´s a long journey or just a short trip or even just walking around the block.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
1 - 3 times per month. That´s mostly because of my profession. Pure vacation more or less once a year, for about 3 weeks.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
I went to NYC in May 2013. Somehow I forgot to pack any underwear. I had a couple of desk top meetings with magazines. One day I put a very nice thin silk dress, because I had a meeting at Vogue in the afternoon. It was hot outside, so I did not take any jacket with me. Suddenly heavy rain started to fall, the underground did not work anymore, I couldn´t get any taxi, so I arrived like out of a shower there. Wearing that soaking wet silk dress with nothing underneath I could have been just naked. I tried to stay cool, presented my work and when I got up to leave again, I left a big dark wet mark on the purple velvet sofa where I was sitting.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
The thought of going there should feel good.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
If it´s vacation, I am looking for recreation, peace of mind.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION -
COURAGE OR ANXIETY -
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART -
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE -
COLOR OR NO COLOR -
A mix of all of it.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
Late summer. Because Munich itself is nice in the summer, when you can go swimming in the river. Especially August is nice, when the tar heats up and most people are gone for vacation. When the heat slows down the city.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
Being on a trip I like the early morning a lot. That time a place seems to be yours. As well the night with its different sounds.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I like to discover new things. I like as well being taken around or shown favourite places. And I love to establish some routine, it gives me a feeling of belonging to where I am.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
Porto. Dear friends of mine moved there and opened up a Deli.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Movement, gestures, skin, attitudes, conversations.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Paper and pen.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Sketch book, book, sunglasses, some jewelry, a bikini.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Newspaper on the weekend, magazine on the plane, book on the bed, laptop on the desk, phone everywhere.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
The smell and sound of railway stations and airports. My parents separated and moved away from each other quiet far, at least from a kids perspective, so I traveled a lot when I was a kid.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Paris, New York, Tokyo, Pune, Berlin, Munich.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
I can feel at home easily anywhere as much as not at home.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
Munich. The Isar, the river running through the city. I like to be near water.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I went there for my education. Then things started to happen there for me, so I stayed.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Isarmärchen performed by Bally Prell
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Ash & Ice, the new album of The Kills, that came out yesterday.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Think, create, work, care, move.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Any, with the right mood.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Important. Bad food is bad for the mood.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
It´s difficult to cut down to five when it´s worldwide, so I stay in Munich with the lineup of places I end up most of the times: Schumanns, Haguruma, Kiss, Kismet, Charlie.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Try to be as good as you can in what you´re good at.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH SASKIA FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.