HELLO JEFF, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE. (www.lesstalktravelmore.com)
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
My name is Jeff Staple and I’m the Creative Director of Staple Design, Founder of Staple Pigeon and Reed Space. Coming from New York City it’s important to travel because it’s easy to forget that there’s a lot of stuff happening outside of NYC.New York is the capital of everything culturally, artistically and creatively. When you travel outside of New York you realize there are a lot of other things happening. I think as a designer you should try and create things that are accessible to all sorts of people, cultures and nationalities. It makes you relevant to different people. The other aspect is for inspiration. Allowing these differences feed into the inspiration that fuels my creations.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
Im pretty much in New York two weeks out of the month, a week on the west coast in LA and usually some where else in America or foreign country during another week.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Funniest experience was a road trip I took from Texas to New York, driving through the south: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. you see the diversity and I found this experience to be really fun!
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I don’t take vacations. Usually I travel because there is a business related reason why I’m traveling to this place. Generally I’ll take on other projects. I’m always working…I can’t remember the last time I went some where it wasn’t business related.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
I don’t take vacations
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Boring Standart?
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Expensive
COLOR OR NO COLOR - No Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
It’s season-less…I travel all the time. I don’t travel to get away from New York’s grimy season or whatever.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
3am…It’s when you have the world to yourself and no one really bothers you. The city is quiet for the most part. I don’t party so it’s really a meditative time for me.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I’m more of a discoverer but I also have schedules and routines when I’m on trips but those schedules and routines allow for discovery…if that makes sense! I don’t go to typical tourist spots. I lay-low. I really try and live like a local but it’s rarely a trip that I’m wondering around for 12hrs getting lost.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
Really want to explore Northern Europe: Copenhagen, Stockholm Scandinavian countries…
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
The act of traveling really inspires me! Meeting interesting folks and I don’t necessarily mean influential, supper important or successful people. I like meeting everyday common people and see what they’re going through in there everyday lives.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Besides the obvious I always bring an empty bag….never know when you’re going to buy extra stuff. That extra bag can come in handy.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
bringing up travel check list: other than the obvious 5 items I always take are my beats pill speaker, electrical adapters for different regions, slippers I don’t like walking on hotel floors, airborne and oregano oil and hats.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
A laptop best represents me because I need it the most it allows me to work anywhere. I tend to take my MacBook air with me.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
Probably when I was in Chile on the Andes Mountain and I almost died. I was snowboarding and I got lost from my crew. I was lost for 6hrs after being recused.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
New York, Tokyo, and Berlin
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
Tokyo actually, it’s the perfect mix of metropolitan major city but it has this sort of laid back chill-zen vibes that I also like that normally happens in smaller-sleepy towns.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in New York on the Lower East Side. I love and hate New York. I always wonder if I could live somewhere else but I could never move.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I like the hustle and bustle of New York. The duality of it all and New York challenges you like a person would and I like that…
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I listen to old soul, jazz and old school hip-hop.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
A very positive social contagion.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
A perfect day is solid 4 hours of sleep, a very productive 4 hours of work, and then 2 hours of taking care of my body and health by working out and then a culturally inspiring day of exploring what ever city I’m in and then a well crafted dinner with catching up on The Walking Dead at night.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Food is the last frontier of being able to experience something first hand. Every other aspect of life Music, art, and fashion can be expressed and shared digitally. People cherish food and value being able to sit down and actually not obtain it online.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Franklins in Austin
Tenz Sushi in Fukuoka
Eleven Madison Park in NYC
Blue Hill at Stone Barn in NYC
Bestia in LA
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Live everyday as if it were your last and just live in the moment.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
BE IN THE MOMENT…no future plans!
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
I wouldn’t change a thing…I like the world with all it’s crap and glory!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH JEFF FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.