Tuesday Talk with: Melayne Shayne / Budokon
HEY MELAYNE , THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
My name is Melayne, I am an exotic, almost contradictory mix of a Brazilian mother and a German father. I was born in Berlin/Germany in 1986, when the Wall still separated the different sectors, another „segmentation“ in my surroundings. I had my first travel experience when I was four months old. My parents took me too Brazil, my second, or first, home. My dad is a passionate traveler and flew around the world with us. We lived in different cities, countries and continents. I always felt what in Germany is called “Fernweh”, a longing for being somewhere else, to travel, to live life as a never ending journey, meeting strangers who become friends, getting familiar with other cultures. I call myself lucky that I was and am able to live my wanderlust enthusiasm in both of my jobs. I used to be the Global Trend Marketing Manager for adidas, being digitally, socially, but also physically, connected to trending subcultures all around the world. Today, I am the Global Brand Manager for an Educational Health & Wellbeing organization called Budokon University. I have found my true passion and love, my husband Cameron Shayne, while he was doing what he most enjoys and does for a living, which is traveling and sharing our art forms: yoga, martial and living arts. Now, we both travel the world together, teaching globally on festivals and conferences, hosting workshops and trainings on all the seven continents Mother Earth has to offer.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
We travel more than we actually stay at our house in Miami Beach. Last year, we visited ten different countries, to the point that my husband sometimes doesn’t even know where we are at the moment.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Our trips always are filled with joy and fun.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
Our trips are primarily work-related. Very often, we are invited to teach at festivals, conferences or in studios. This is when I start planning our trips and next stops around it. Germany, for example, is a strong market for us, so last year I decided to travel to Turkey, as I love the Turkish hospitality. When we travel, we are very engaged with the people who make a place unique and special for us. We love to connect with locals in order to get to know their local favorite food and hidden places.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Sun, the ocean, delicious healthy food, a comfortable bed, an outdoor shower and my husband, of course.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Expansive
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I follow the sun and heat wherever I go. Our travel schedule is pretty much designed to have a year full of summer. I just love it. I guess it is my Brazilian nature.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I love the early morning, when everything is still quiet, when I am still able to create my own reality and make a conscious choice about how I want to experience the day. Sometimes, I just love to stay in bed a little longer, read a good book or snuggle with my husband. At other times, I feel inspired to go out in the world and take a run or practice Yoga.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I definitely like to discover. I usually don’t like to get any advice or tips from anyone. I don’t use maps, so I just create my own journey.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
For a while now, I have been feeling inspired to visit Vietnam, before it gets too touristy. I would like to mix a backpack trip with a nice luxury eco resort at the end of the journey.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
People and their minds inspire me a lot. I love to exchange ideas, philosophies, experiences, thoughts, emotions. I am inspired by movement with regard to my body or other people’s bodies. Moving for me is essential, it is freedom, it is creativity and expression.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
An open mind and heart.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Bikini, iphone charger, at least one book, a sexy stylish dress and a yoga mat.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
iphone/laptop, as I get all in one. I use it for my work and for leasure.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
When I decided to leave Germany for a five-months sabbatical in South America and never came back.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
I adore Barcelona! Berlin will always have a special place in my heart. Byron Bay in Australia is a beauty. And if you know Rio, then you cannot help but love it, too.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
In a strange but strong way I feel very connected to Barcelona. I guess because it is somehow a combination of Latin chaos and European order. Just like myself.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I moved to Miami Beach one year ago. I have not spent much time there yet, as we traveled almost all year in 2015. What I love about Miami is the sun, the ocean and the heat. And I was able to connect with some amazing people as well.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I moved there because my husband lived there. He had picked the location for the same reasons: the ocean, the sun and the heat. The easy connection to all airports around the world from Miami is very convenient to us.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Latin Music ... everybody talks in Spanish to me here, it has this South American flair everywhere you go.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
At the moment, Nick Drake, Pink Moon.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Liberated, fun, unpredictable, spontaneous and conscious.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Right now, as we are very busy with a lot of projects, my perfect day would look like this: sleeping in, being served a delicious breakfast, taking a walk along the beach, swimming in the ocean, getting kissed by the sun, and doing whatever I feel like doing without even thinking about it.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Crucial. I am a foody. I stick to a very strict diet and have a sensitive stomach, so I am very picky with what I eat. Miami has been quite challenging. But I have found a few spots that I love now. And they even serve Pizza!
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Lucali - Miami
Goldener Hahn - Berlin
Wittmann’s - Nuremberg
Aprazivel - Rio de Janeiro
and a secret little spot in Barcelona where an old lady cooks for you.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
The purpose of life is living. Enjoying it and being good to others.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
I don’t have many plans, as I think everything is already planned out and will unfold itself in front of me. We have trips and trainings scheduled for the next two years and then might start to settle down a little more ... maybe start a family.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
People believe in ideologies that don’t benefit anyone, that only cause pain, hatred, discrimination, injustice and death. We really need to pay attention to this and question it. What we need is peace and understanding and compassion and love for each other.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH MELAYNE FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.