HEY JULIAN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS.TALK.TRAVEL.MORE. LET‘S START OUR INTERVIEW
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Hi, I`m Julian and I`m working as a freelance writer for several magazines such as Schön! and Horstson.de (one of the major menswear blogs in Germany). Next to this, I`m studying Metropolitan Culture at HafenCity University – something completely different from my daily life in fashion business. During my youth, I worked as an actor for film and theatre, travelled India and the Himalayan mountains with a group of lecture-interested students and played the violin in an orchestra (unfortunately not really successful). With this orchestra, I visited Canada, the Rocky Mountains, Italy and France. Right after, I assisted several designers all over the world: I still remember my experiences with Nabeela Akhbar in Johannesburg or my time at the studio of Dawid Tomaszewski in Berlin. After finishing school four years ago, I got a work offer from independent fashion and beauty magazine called “TUSH”. I gained as much valuable experiences as possible, working with experts such as founder and editor-in-chief Armin Morbach or creative director Mirko Borsche. Working for a fashion magazine is definitely fun and it was always a pleasure assisting my colleagues Ingo Nahrwold and Wiebke Bredehorst. Afterwards, I decided to work as a freelancer (writer and styling assistant) for several projects/ photo shootings such as German Interview, Monki Magazine or Armin Morbach`s online gay magazine called “HORST”. During the last couple of years, I traveled the world and if there`s a hashtag describing my life: #traveldiary.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
It depends. Just for vacation? Maybe three times a year! I love traveling the world with my boyfriend or family. Next to this, I`m often attending business/ press trips. Sometimes it`s really hard to manage university and my work as a writer.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
I still remember my first time in Bangkok, I love this vibrant city. Luckily, my boyfriend and I were invited to stay in a friends apartment. It was located in the heart of this party area called Saladaeng and we had a huge swimming pool on top of our room. It was really, really nice and also a bit crazy.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
My next destination will be Toulouse. I`ll move there right after Christmas for an internship at Goethe Institute. I`m a bit afraid, because I`ve never been to “la ville rose” before. I visit France frequently but I will be in this southern part for the first time: Any recommodation?
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
I don`t need any luxury when I`m on vacation. I just need my boyfriend and my family. Of course: Some good food is always nice! I`m not this kind of person looking for a three-courses-menu or party all night on vacation.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION – I`m type relaxation equipped with a range of interesting books.
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage, otherwise you`ll miss something on vacation.
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARD - Not too much, but from time to time some adventure as well.
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE – I`m absolutely fine with cheap hotels but I have to admit: I also enjoyed my stay at Mandarin Oriental for a press trip in London.
COLOR OR NO COLOR - ?
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I prefer summer holidays, because I`m freezing almost every time in autumn and winter. But, maybe next year I`d like to visit Norway in winter. My boyfriend used to live there in the wilderness a couple of years ago and I`m absolutely fascinated by Norways stunning landscape.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
That’s a good question: It`s hard for me to get up but I Iove to go out for a run at the Alster lake in the morning.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I would say that I`m a huge discoverer on a trip but if you`ll ask my friends, they will definitely tell you the opposite.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
I`d like to go Mozambique again, some years ago I`ve discovered this wonderful beach called Ponta D`Ouro this place is magic!
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Open-minded people, history and of course: fashion.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
An extra charger for my iPhone. It sounds weird but that’s part of the job.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Hopefully enough money, sunglasses, a scarf (otherwise I`ll get a cold in the airplane), several books, my phone and a camera.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Of course: iPhone but I also like print magazine – there`s nothing better than an interesting story.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
Walking down the beach on my favorite island Corsica. I was approximately ten years old, playing with my dog called “Karl-Heinz” when I found a dead shark. I was all alone, it was really frightening. “Karl-Heinz” and me were just thinking: What the hell?! I`ll never forget this moment...
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
I`m in love with London and Los Angeles. One day, I`d like to live in one of these cities.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
London. My sister is living in Islington and it almost feels like home visiting her little family. Of course, Wuppertal. My whole family is living there and I try to visit my mum, my sisters and my dog once a month.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I`m living in Northern Germany, Hamburg. I`m not sure if there`s something I really, really love in this city? Maybe my apartment next to Kampnagel or Isemarkt in Eppendorf? Blankenese or Altes Land? Of course: My friends in town and many restaurants! I forgot Secondella, my favorite second hand shop…
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
At least I followed my heart.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
I think Jan Delay!
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I`m listening to Adele’s music at the moment. I used to work for Markus Lanz a while ago. I still remember the conversation between her and Mr. Lanz in on of his television shows for ZDF: She is such an interesting person.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
You better work (hard)! I`m joking but I think it`s really important to follow your dreams. Therefore, you have to work hard.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Horseback riding in the forest of Bergisches Land and in the evening: a dinner with friends and family at my favorite Italian restaurant.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Food is really important for me. I have a sweet tooth: I love milkshakes, chocolate bars and ice cream. Of course, I also like fish or pasta. I`m always interested in new things!
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Fiskebar in Antwerp
Ottolenghi in London
San Leo in Wuppertal
Princi in Milano
In’n’Out Burgers in LA – that’s not a restaurant, I know…
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
“Dance, Dance, otherwise we are lost” (Pina Bausch, choreograph)
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Finding an interesting master program and getting married one day.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
No more hate.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH JULIAN FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING/FUNNY INTERVIEW. ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.