HEY HARIET AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
LET‘S START OUR INTERVIEW
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Im MYMO aka Mimo Mali, a multi-disciplinary artist based in Berlin and a rainbow gypsy traveler, always chasing the sun.
I grew up in Germany, and have some of my family origins in North Africa. My father’s ancestry is from a nomadic tribe, and I probably must still have it in my blood because I like to travel from place to place. I turned out to be a free spirit, and that is why my artwork is so colorful. A lot of people don’t know anything about North Africa, about its beautiful cultural tribal roots, amazing fabric prints and jewelry originating from nomadic tribes.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
I travel a lot through my art work, which is amazing. I love it, I get to experience new places and cultures. I've held exhibitions, lectures and workshops worldwide. The German weather conditions force me travel at least six months per year to warmer places. I love to come back to my studio after travelling, too.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
There are so many funny experiences. Once I made an airplane fly back for me after they had already checked my luggage, but forgot to check me in. They forgot to announce my name as a passenger. Luckily, because I was able to speak Spanish with the manager, who happened to be a very nice lady from Cuba, we had a wonderful conversation. That was a really funny experience because I was able to really hit it off with her and she had the entire flight turn around, so I could board. All the other passengers were in pure astonishment. On a side note, one of the nicest experiences for me was flying on a private jet over Africa, during the time the Africa burn festival was happening in the Kalahari desert.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
It depends on where certain events are happening and what kind of new project I’m looking forward to working on in the world. I love beaches, waterfalls, spending time in nature, meditation in the sun, sleeping under the stars. I also love spending time in the desert. My favorite desert is the Sahara.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
All of these components are important for me. After each travel, there is a much needed recreation process involved. Over time, you will experience something new, and of course I need to relax sometimes. I love adventures because they are fun. I’m always ready to make trip to the ocean or tot he mountains, in fact I'm currently at Venice Beach, on a whim, because I had to see the sunset. Beautiful day! :)
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Both
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courrage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARD - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Cheap
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Colour
I like to relax, but I’m always in motion. I’m working on my courage, I’m very adventurous, and I travel cheap. Color is my life. So all of the above.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I like to travel in winter to warm places the most. I can’t stand the cold.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I love sunsets and sunrises the most. I used to have a studio in Cape Town on a mountain. The sun would shine right through a great big window, and we would wake up just before sunrise everyday at four in the morning to watch it rise. Then we would go back to sleep right after.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
Yes, I'm totally more of a discoverer and I’m always curious to discover new places and things.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
To South America. It’s super vast and colorful.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Nature inspires me the most. But I also like to spend hours in thrift shops and second-hand shops, the really big ones with really cheap things; I love spending hours in there the most. I lose myself sometimes. For me it’s more like visiting an art show or going to a museum. There are also these vintage shops with prints from the 80s, and I just overload on this visual information, and then it comes out later in an artwork. I don’t look at other things, really.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Toothbrush and paste, comfortable jogging pants, the right type of boots, fresh underwear and socks. And then you’re set!
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Sketchbook, black pen, crystal, lip balm, lighter.
14. BOOK; NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESNTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
I always keep a diary and study the universal knowledge of nature … I use my electronics when needed, and, although interesting, I don't depend on media to teach me the truths of life. I love magazines and collect a few.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
There are so many moments I cannot choose just one. There are more moments to come…
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Berlin, Barcelona, Paris, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, New York, Los Angeles, Cape Town, Melbourne, and I LOVE Offenbach. But there are more cities to discover.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
I can’t really tell at this point, I like warmer places with fresh water and air. I’ve been spending summers in Cape Town and I like it a lot because it’s a mix of Africa and Europe, like me. It’s a little bit like Europe in Africa. It’s a nice combination and the beaches are the best. I lived in Barcelona, Cape Town, New York and Los Angeles for some months and also feel at home there. It’s all part of the earth.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live between Berlin and the world. What I love most about Berlin is the slow steady vibe, and the city still has nature and green spaces. But Berlin is a bitch in the winter, and you don't want to be around!
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
Because the art scene opened its loving arms for me. Back in the days, a Japanese spirit called Yoshi offered me an art residency at Miss Hacker Gallery. Soon more and more opportunities opened up. Now the whole world has opened up to me.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
In Berlin, electronic music is the most popular music.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I love a lot of music from Psychedelic Rock to hip Hop, Jungle, electoral beats, Reggae, Drum'n Base, Afro house, Afro Funk, native music.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Rainbow, eagle, jaguar, alien, urban, and I`ll give you five more: tribal, psychedelic, colorful, funky, fresh, real.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Sunshine, little baby clouds, hiking up to a waterfall and going swimming, then picnic making a fire and sleeping under the stars.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Yes, this is a very important aspect of my life. I like healthy and vegetarian vegan food. I get a lot of energy from fruit, so to travel in countries with nice happy fruits is very important to me.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
I love Vietnamese food, so everywhere I try to find a good Vietnamese restaurant.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
There are infinite philosophies for life.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Right now, I`m in the North American hemisphere cruising the waves of Northern and Southern California. And as it gets colder, I will head towards South America continuing my chase for the sun.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Vote for me for President of the Rainbow Party representing One Love, Peace, and Unity for ALL Creation! - !Mimo Loves You!
My website is www.mimomali.com
drop me a hello! :)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH MIMO FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING/FUNNY INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.