SMLHELLO FRANK, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF
A NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESSTALKTRAVELMORE.COM
1. SO... TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Hi, my Name is Frank Lukas, I am 35 years old, and I live in Koblenz, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany.
I have worked as an editor in the MTB-Brand Design Team of Canyon Bicycles for almost two years. Travelling used to be a big part of my life, much more than it is today, since I have a full-time job here in Koblenz. I used to be a BMX-Flatland pro for twelve years. Being a pro and travelling go hand in hand. It is still a big part of my life though. The BMX-scene keeps you captured and I still judge a lot of big events. But travelling is limited to the weekends most of the times.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
Like I said, travelling is limited to three to five days per trip. But I would say definitely between ten and twenty times per year. I enjoy these short road trips to the south of France or England as much as I did when I had more time to do them. At this point, I have to say that I have had a big fear of flying for a few years. This limits my travel distances. I am not saying that I do not fly at all. But taking the car whenever I can is the result of my anxiety.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Losing the gearbox of a brand new rental Bike near Lyon and the accidental swap of luggage with Alex Jumelin at Tokyo Narita Airport. There were so many funny moments travelling as a BMX-rider. I wish I had kept a diary back then and had written down all the funny moments. I did not, but all I can say is that it has been some wild twelve years.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I am not the guy who likes to plan everything a hundred percent before going on a trip. Sometimes, a get a call on Monday and go to Marseille on Friday. These are the most fun trips though. I would say, not planning anything is a big weakness, but also a big advantage at the same time.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Definitely experience, adventure and fun. I can’t remember a vacation that was about recreation or relaxation. There were moments when I thought that lying on the beach is my thing. But after a few minutes, I decided to do something else because it bores me to death .
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION – Motion.
COURAGE OR ANXIETY – In between.
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART – Adventure.
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE – Love expensive, can't afford it, so cheap!
COLOR OR NO COLOR – Color.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I always like to travel in the summer and stay at home during the winter. I love the long nights and the short days as much as I love the long summer days.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
Coming out of the office and knowing there is enough time to see my son, play with him and maybe have a little ride with my BMX or my MTB.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I love both. For example, I love to travel to Montpellier once a year. The FISE (Festival International de Sports Extreme) has invited me to work there as a judge a few years ago. Before, I went there as a competitor. I have been making this trip for the past 17 years now. I would say, this has become a routine. But I love the road trip down there, knowing some gas stations, knowing when I have to pay tax for the highway the next time etc. But I also love to explore some new cities. I really like doing that on my own. Just cruising around on my bike in an unknown city is heart-warming and exciting at the same time.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
I would like to go to Vancouver one day to meet my friend Travis Collier. I want to travel to New Orleans to meet my brother Scott O’Brien. It is a big thing for me because thinking about these trips by plane gives me sweaty palms. But I will do it one day. At the moment, they still like to come to Germany and visit me, but I know there will be the day, when I have to go ;)
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
My son, bikes, the universe, sci-fi, music, cabaret artists, satire.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A
TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
These days, I would say a big power bank for your smart phone. Because all the other things I always take on a trip are combined in there. Camera, GPS, translator, calculator etc...
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Tools for my bike, fisheye lens for my phone, tripod, small Leatherman, hats.
14. BOOK; NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESNTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Definitely my phone. I never read too much and all the information I need for my daily life are on my phone.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
My first visit to Japan. I was lining up for the passport control in Tokyo and I felt like on another planet. I was scared and excited at the same time. The moment I had my driving license also gave me so much freedom. This was breathtaking.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Germany: Koblenz, Hamburg, Cologne, Freiburg,
Europe: Vienna, Paris, Barcelona
International: Tokyo, New York, LA
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
Koblenz (because it is my hometown), Lanzarote (childhood memories), Cologne (because of friends) Hamburg (old love never dies).
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Koblenz. I was born and raised here. I love the city, which is not too big and not too small. It has two rivers, and I know the right people on both sides.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I did not. It just happened by accident of birth.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Afro Cuban - All Stars meets Coldplay meets Slayer meets Wu-Tang meets Udo Jürgens.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
MF Doom Remix of a Method Man song
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Family, sporty, exciting, party, repetitive,
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
A little bit of everything from above
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
I basically eat everything and I love to try new things. But I wouldn’t say it is a big part of my life. I used to eat only oats, rice and chicken when I worked out. I have been eating everything for the last two years, and now I am stuck somewhere in the middle. Let’s say, I am a thankful customer who is really easy to satisfy.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
I am not so picky with food and restaurants, so it is hard to name five. Recently, I have loved going to “What’s Beef” in Düsseldorf. I like their whole concept and design. Rap, Burgers. As a BMX-HipHop fan, it’s not a bad place to be.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
We come from the stars and that’s where we’ll go again. Try to make the best out of the time in between
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Being healthy and being a good dad for my wonderful son.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Abolish religion, increase the consciousness for nature and the universe, and, after this, tear away all borders. One world, one mankind.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.
Photocredits: Camilo Gutierrez