HEY KERSTIN , THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I am 34 years old and from Frankfurt. I travel a lot because of my job. I am a buyer for my own fashion store Hayashi, which is located in the inner city of Frankfurt. When you travel, entering new worlds is the best experience. It is a world that you create with your own rules and options. Travelling is always a chance to invent yourself. This is the most exciting about discovering the world.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
I travel for business reasons from mid-January to mid-February, from the end of February to mid-March, from end the of June to mid-July, and from mid-September to the beginning of October. My travels take me from Milano to Paris, from Paris to Milano, sometimes to London and New York. This depends on where my favourite designers show their collections. But this is just the business part of my travels.
In between, I try to go on vacations a few weeks per year.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
On every journey, something funny and remarkable happens. For example, I attended a party with a crowd of nearly 70 year old guys, who smoked weed and danced Salsa in San Francisco, I observed a huge thunderstorm, which cut the way back from an island and left house roofs flying in the air and doing moonwalks on the stormy coast, or an adventure trip with one of my best friends, who is a journalist, driving through the Westbank in Israel. When you are open-minded to the country and the people you visit, you will always find yourself in a colorful adventure.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I won’t travel twice to the same place. The world is too big, and the time too short. So I am always looking for new hidden places, cool cities and inspirations. Even in Paris or Milano I always stay in different hotels, otherwise it feels like a déjà vu, which bores me and makes me sad.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
As my job is my passion, and I would like to be inspired even in my free time, I love to travel to cities which are vibrant, colorful and exciting to explore. Beach holidays are also a nice choice, but to be truly happy, I have to keep myself busy. So the best is to combine a cool city with a few days on the beach afterwards.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - I am always in motion.
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Without courage, you won’t explore new places.
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARD - Adventure
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Both! I am always looking for a hidden place, which doesn’t have to be expensive. I am an AIRBNB-user more than a luxury traveller. I need to be close to the country and the people.
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color, they are running through my veins. I can’t live without them!
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
As I have to go on vacations between fashion weeks, the best time for travelling is in February, August or October. I love to escape dark cold winters!
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I am a morning person, not because I cannot sleep long, but I am used to taking my dog Otto for a walk. So even when I am without him, I love to take a walk in the early mornings, when no one is up yet and the sun starts shining, I enjoy, the fresh air. This is the best time of the day!
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I need to discover things. As I am very passionate, I prepare my trip with all the things I like to see before I get on the plane. Nearly every trip is more perfect than the trip before, and it is a common feeling that I would love to move to the city I visit. I always find wonderful places, which makes my heart burn.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
My next trip will be to Mexico City and Peru, as I haven’t been there yet, and I can’t wait to discover the two places!
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
People, the way they are dressed when they go out, flea markets, souvenirs, colors, music, restaurants, interiors. I take my camera with me on each trip to capture my impressions.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Definitely my camera. You can’t take all the things back home other than in your heart. But to remember every little detail, I take pictures. Keeps your luggage light!
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Camera, cellphone, comfortable shoes, a list of the researched places I want to visit, contact lenses.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Cellphone. As I am addicted to social media, and my customers and friends back home wait for updates, my cellphone is my best buddy for emails, notes, pictures, instagram, facetime. I need the Internet.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
I did a two-weeks trip to California on my own. I rent a car and drove the 101 along the coast. As the sun went down, I stopped and sat down at the coast. As I had a heartache at the time, I waited for my tears. But all I felt was pure happiness. A moment like that leaves me happy because I do the things I love! Even when there is no one around.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
San Francisco, Tel Aviv, Paris and New York.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
I think I have never been as happy as when I travelled to California, especially to San Francisco. I loved the vibes, the people and the art.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Frankfurt, and I love it because it is a small metropolis. People travel a lot because of the large airport and the stock exchange. I love the skyscrapers and the subculture, which is unique for such a small town.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I have lived in Frankfurt since I was a child, I have my business here and my family, most of my friends live all over the world, but from Frankfurt, the world is close because of the airport.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Electronic music with high bpm! Frankfurt is loud, fast and sometimes relentless.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I am a limitless music freak. As I was a DJ in another life, I love music from every section. My playlist is changing every day.
This week’s top 10:
Talking heads-This must be the place
Kim Carnes-Bette Davis Eyes
The Preatures-This is how you feel
Pretty lights-Finally moving
Duke Dumont-Need U
Maribou State-The clown
Diplo-Be right there
Young MC-Bust a move
Q tip-Vivrant thing Club Mix
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Colorful, wild, fast, funny, dreamy
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
I have a lot of perfect days during the week, as I do what I love. I like to wake up on a spring day, take the dog for a walk, going to antique markets to choose new decorations for my store window, meeting my team in the store and having dinner with friends. When I have to travel the next day to a fashion week and am packing my things, I couldn’t feel better.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Very important. I love to discover the best restaurants in town, as I love dressing up and going out for dinner. At the same time I love to try typical dishes from the country I travel to. As I always go to Airbnbs because you get the best tips from locals.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
The Salon in Tel Aviv, Petrelle in Paris, Zenzakan in Frankfurt, Stanley Diamond in Frankfurt, Carlo et Carmilla in Milano.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Feet on the ground, head in the sky.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Live colorful, work hard, love deep.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
First wish: The coolest thing I could imagine would be a teleporter to visit my best friends all over the world in a second. Second wish: That my dog could speak. But until then, I am happy with the possibility we have every day to change our world in a second. Sometimes, it needs just a small decision.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH KERSTIN FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.