HI JAYBO AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
LET‘S START OUR INTERVIEW
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I am 53 years old. I was born in France and I have been living in Berlin since 1984. I am now considered a painter. I am a runaway kid, which means travelling is not only important, but it was and is life-changing for me.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
About five to ten times a year.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
I can’t remember or I can’t chose. Every trip I made had something very special and funny ….
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I am not deciding anything, i have to go where my art is going, and sometimes to inspire myself.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Most of the time, I need to go to reenergize, experience and relaxation.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Relaxation
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courrage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARD - I can’t answer this. I see adventure in some boring standard.
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Irrelevant
COLOR OR NO COLOR - I guess color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I have a family with a daughter who is 19 years old. At the beginning, holidays were always connected to school holidays, which are spread around the year. Nowadays, I enjoy very much the off-season moments. I went to Portugal last October and enjoyed empty beaches. My holidays are a quest for isolation and to few people.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
Sunrise, as I am always impressed by the fact that I am actually alive. The blue hour when the day becomes night is also my favorite.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
Somehow both, I love to return to places I know, but I try to discover a new aspect of it everytime I am there.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Light and landscape.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
My sense of humor.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Hat, pocket knife, leica, paper, pencil.
14. BOOK; NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESNTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Nothing of those. I try to avoid all this social advise from every medium. Offline is my new black. I am out to hide.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
The departure, and the first moment when you realize the change of landscape or light.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Berlin, Los Angeles, Milan, Dakar, Capetown ...so many.
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
Berlin. I hate Berlin when I am there, but soon as I am gone, I need to get back there.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
Berlin. The 50.000 shades of gray.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
I lost my passport in the late 80s, it took time to get a new one, then the city adopted me.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Eric Satie, Gymnopedie 1.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Thirteen harmonies by John Cage.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Trusting to attempt the uncertain.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Very important. In order to grow you need to try new things and obviously make mistakes.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Bauhaus in Vancouver
Sasaya in Berlin
Maselli in Berlin
Dotter in Berlin
Tabbibito in Berlin
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Making mistakes, but making them only once and never going where the others go.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
I have to finish a show for Amsterdam at the Kallenbach Gallery called „Holes and Nothing“.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
My website is www.jayboisms.com
THANK YOU VERY MUCH JAYBO FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING/FUNNY INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.