HEY FRANK AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I was born in 1969 in Offenbach and grew up in Frankfurt. After graduating from high school, I went to study in Siena/Italy. This is when I began to like traveling. After that, I studied graphic design in Würzburg and Bournemouth/Great Britain. My first job was in Berlin at MetaDesign, but then I decided to start my own business in Frankfurt. That was in 1996, with the Nordisk office.
Travelling has always been important to me and a necessary part of my life. The food always played an important role for me too, maybe this was one of the reasons why my companion Lorenzo Bizzi and I had the Bio Catering Company between 2001 and 2012.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
10-15 times, a total of about ten weeks, if it's possible, with my wife Nada and our two children. The longest trip was a four-months trip around the world, this was perhaps the most beautiful time of my life.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Oh, there are a lot ... haha. With my friend and partner Lorenzo ... but I really can't tell you this, after all we have been closest friends for 30 years and business partners for 20 years, I can't, sorry :)
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I plan each trip with my wife. But to tell you the truth, my wife does further planning, which I am very grateful for. Relevant for both of us - apart from the final destination – is the hotel/apartment. If the basis is good, the rest will follow by itself.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Exactly, and in this order: RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN The only thing that is perhaps missing is: GOOD FOOD.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Relaxation
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARD - Boring standard
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Both
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
Well, how should I say it?! In the summer by the sea, I am absolutely in a RELAXATION mood, I go swimming once a day for an one hour and then run for one hour, but otherwise I move only to the bar.
In the winter, I do free-riding in the Alps, it is an extreme motion sport and one needs COURAGE, a need for adventure and a passion for speed.
BORING STANDARD I like the most after a long night in Berlin, then I sit from noon to 6pm in the restaurant of the SOHO House and don't move.
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE? Both. On the one hand, I like a simple and honest taverna in Greece, but on the other hand I also like an expensive restaurant in Paris - it always depends on the moment. Where I am and who I am with, I'm really flexible.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
You see and that's my problem! I really love every season.
I love skiing, I could go skiing all year long - it is something like a meditative moment for me. But I also love the spring in the south when it gets warm and the first flowers start to bloom - for example, I was in Istanbul last spring with close friends, which was wonderful. But the summer by the sea with my two daughters is an insanely good time. But to be in the south In the fall to enjoy the last warm days before it gets cold and grey is the best!
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
When I come home and my two daughters and my wife open the door.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
For our worldtrip, we only planned the countries and maybe sometimes the first days, but the rest was more geared towards discovery.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
Today is November 24th. - Skiing of course!
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Art and cities (city trips)
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Well, we always have four small pillows with us. Always the same ones. This is a family thing :).
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
My pillow (otherwise I sleep badly).
Headphones (not having to endure the conversations of the person sitting next to me and music)
Sunglasses (looks are always good.)
Pen and notebook (This is what we need the most)
Pocket knife (but you never need it, just in case)
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Unfortunately IPHONE / IPAD / LAPTOP, I wish I had more style, but this is not the case.
Although I still subscribe to some newspapers and several magazines, I mostly read the online news.
It's just more convenient and faster - but has no style!
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
Perhaps the first trip with my wife. She was five months pregnant and introduced me to her best friends in Thessaloniki (Greece). I was pretty nervous because I knew how important this was for her. Everything went well and we are at least once or twice per year in Thessaloniki with our best friends.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Saigon (Vietnam), Siem Reap (Cambodia) New York, Cozumel (Mexico), Thessaloniki and Hydra (Greece).
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
Frankfurt am Main. The smallest metropolis in the world. I love the internationality, the calmness and the international airport, it's only 15 minutes away from the city centre ... but the most: my friends!
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
My friend Lorenzo called me in 1996 when I was working in Berlin at MetaDesign and said, "Come back, we do something together."
So he's to blame!
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Champagne and Rock n'Roll
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Now is the time.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Travelling around the world.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Allmost important as skiing.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Stanley Diamond (Frankfurt)
Epen Aristotelous (Thessaloniki)
Le Chateaubriand (Paris)
Streetfood from Cambodia
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
A four-day week.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
I think what all sensible and enlightened people want.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FRANK FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.