HELLO EELKE , THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Hello, I am Eelke Plasmeijer. I am 33 years old and from Loon op Zand (a little town in the South of Holland). Traveling is import because it means spending time with my wife and son, time that I normally l don’t have …
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
Not often enough!
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Traveling with my young son Viggo (he turns three this April) is always fun! You see the world through different eyes really…
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
We normally decide based on our feelings, and we like going to places where we have never been to before …
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
All those reasons could be a reason …
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Both (really depends what we are looking for)
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Both
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Both
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Both
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
Doesn't really matter. But high on my list is snowboarding with my son in Japan, one day when he is a little bigger …
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
My wife discovers things and I lay back and watch her …
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
I would love to travel more in Indonesia. I haven’t seen much of this beautiful country yet, and I have been living here for almost ten years now …
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
My wife and my son!
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Too many, way too heavy, cooking books, which I never read but always have to carry with me. My wife hates me for this!
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
For sure old school media, you name it, book, newspaper and magazine, can’t do without them and can easily do without all the modern stuff …
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
Moving to Indonesia as a very young and inexperienced kid changed my entire life!
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Don’t have a favorite yet!
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Ubud, and I love living there because it really is a little village where people still greet each other in the street.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
A job took me there…
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
Still the same music I was listening to when I left Holland ten years ago: The Killers, The Strokes, Artic Monkeys, Peppers, System of a Down, Rock & Roll really ….
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Trying to be a family man…
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
A day without stress and pressure spent with the people I love …
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Food is my biggest passion in the world!
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
I cannot answer this question, I am afraid.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
I am trying very hard to have a normal life like my friends back home, but I think that is simply impossible.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
We are opening a bar here in the same street where our two restaurants are located, together with our crazy (but super talented) bartender Raka.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
You are asking this a simply cook ;-)? Let’s stick with something that I pretend to know a lot of: People should be more conscious about what they eat and where their food comes from. The eating habits in the West are killing our planet, and we should change this very, very soon! I mean less meat, more local, more organic (although this is also not the answer) food, and we all need a more sustainable mindset if that makes any sense …
THANK YOU VERY MUCH EELKE FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.