HELLO DANIEL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Hey, I am Daniel. I am 33 years old and live in Frankfurt/Main, Germany. Since I am young, I love to travel. First, I travelled with my parents and later alone. I opened a menswear store called Uebervart in Frankfurt in 2008 and from that point on, travelling has not only been fun, but also part of my working life.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
I travel a lot. Businesswise, I travel a lot in January and then in July during the fashion weeks in Paris, Milan, London and New York. When I travel privately, I love to do an extensive inspirational journey to a far-away country or to a different culture once a year, and a “coming down” trip to a great, calm place for a week. I forgot to mention that my best friends and I have a fixed skiing weekend at the beginning of March in the Austrian Alps every year.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
So many funny things happened. But I remember playing golf on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, when the ranger came to us on hole 1 and said that we should be a little bit careful of the crocodiles around the course because they lived there first. And then he added: “Ah, guys, and be careful especially on hole 8, there’s a 3,60-4 meter lady lying with her babies. If you are scared, just skip the hole.” And so we did when we saw her lying right next to the green.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
As I mentioned above, I always love to discover new cultures or to find great relaxation places. I normally read a story about a place or friends tell me. Then I read more about the place, like what to do there, where to eat and stay. If it all fits, I book a flight and a hotel and here I go. As I am a big fan of small, family-owned hotels and because I am a restless guy, who can chill at the beach and read a book but not all day long, the places I travel to should offer some activities as well.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Both recreation and experience. I love to discover all places and cities I visit. My ideal day on vacation is like this: start the day with finding a nice coffee place, then discover the best stores (interior, fashion, galleries, whatever), then have a good lunch somewhere, then rest a little and later have dinner in a nice restaurant. I hate going out on vacation. I love to start the day early because there is always so much to do out there. I can party at home.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion in the morning, relaxation in the afternoon
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDART - Adventure, but sometimes boring standard is soothing
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Depends on what
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Color
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
I love to travel during off-season in general. Every place has its own best time to visit. I do not care for special seasons, but for which season is the best to go to a special place.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
Early morning. For example: When you wake up jetlagged in LA on the first day, it is around 4:30/5 am in the morning. Getting up, grabbing a coffee to go, driving up to Mulholland Drive around 6 am and watching the city wake up is the best ever!
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
Discoverer! Always on the hunt for new spots, people, etc...
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
I am going to Tokyo in April of this year, and I think it will be awesome! I also want to go to Apulia in Italy in late summer, and I hope I can make it.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Places and people. You can see old people sitting in a coffee shop talking about the good old times, and you walk around the corner and find an art gallery of some young, funny guys, and all of it within ten meters.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Phone charger, credit cards (two), my favorite playlist, sunglasses.
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Sunglasses, iphone, paper and pencil, Baseball cap, earplugs.
14. BOOK, NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESENTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Unfortunately: the mobile phone. I love to have it with me. Taking pictures, using Instagram, texting messages and photos to my family, checking in the Internet where to go, etc. – all this makes me answer: my mobile phone.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
It sounds super boring but when I am skiing and I get up early and reach the top of the mountains with my two best friends, and there is nothing but nature, the sound and the smell of the fresh fallen snow and the view around the other hills, I always feel grateful and happy about my life.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Miami, Hong Kong, Munich, Los Angeles
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
Due to my job, I go to Milan quiet often per year and whenever I come to the city, I love the food, the people, the speed, and I always imagine moving here. The other place I can imagine moving to for a time period is Los Angeles. The vibe in California is so unbelievable, and there is so much sun.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Frankfurt/Main. I love my hometown because of the international flair and that you can travel the world so easily from the Rhein-Main-Airport. And of course my friends and my family live here.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
Well, I wanted to start my own business in 2008. The only place where I felt safe to do it was my hometown where I grew up, and where my family and friends are. So I decided to stay.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Sometimes old, calm Jazz, sometimes dirty Hip Hop.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I love the young German band AnnenMeyKantereit, and I am very much into old Jazz from New York of the late 60s at the moment.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Always focused on what I want to reach, what I like and what has to be done.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Pretty much what I answered in question 5. Except on skiing holidays. Here, the perfect day is made of great skiing conditions, sunshine and some beers with a view on the valley in the afternoon.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Really important. This is what makes a journey a journey. The most important thing, besides looking out for new things, is smelling and tasting them.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Clown Bar - Paris
Dudu - Berlin
Tantris - Munich
Nobu Next Door - New York
Prime 112 - Miami Beach
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
As I run my own business, this comes first. But working in a lifestyle surrounding is a lot of fun. But of course work is not all. My family and my friends are an important counterpart, and I love having these contrasts in my life! Thus, my life philosophy is: “Life’s colorful, people are different, accept it. It’s fun.”
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
There are some smaller travels that I planned this year. In the future, I do not really want to settle because I would also love to leave Frankfurt for a while and discover another part of the world for some time. Ideally with a beach in walking distance ;)
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Lack of tolerance.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH DANIEL FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.