HI JAKOB & DAVID AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
LET‘S START OUR INTERVIEW
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I’m Jakob and together with my friend David I run the German fashion think tank Dandy Diary (www.dandydiary.de). We do trend forecasts, fashion criticism, co-design fashion, shoes & accessories and throw brilliant parties from time to time. Travelling is one of the most important things for us these days, since we try to get inspired by every place we go to. Sometimes, it’s just small things that inspire us, sometimes we’re overwhelmed by a whole concept. In any case, we try to snap the best parts of it and combine it with our work.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
We’re on the road for approximately 50 % of the year.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
This summer, I went to Lithuania and had a sauna/vodka thing going with some locals and a Russian butcher oligarch. That was both: tough and funny. I ended up never drinking vodka again after this.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
Depends on what’s happening and of course the climate. Winter times in Moscow? Did it once, won’t do it again. Our next trips will take us to Miami Beach for the Art Basel, an art fair. After that we’ll go to New York, which is always a great inspiration.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
Experience! That’s definitely the most important part. Fun is nice too, but I like it much more when it’s combined with a local experience. You can ride a fast roller coaster almost everywhere in the world, but in Hong Kong there is this crazy fun park with a roller coaster that gives you a great view over the Hong Kong bay, which you wouldn't have without it. This is both: local experience and fun.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion, but you'll find me in the spa from time to time too. Quite more often at the hotel bar of course
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Fear isn’t a good partner when travelling.
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARD - Of course I’d choose the boring stuff
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Doesn’t matter. Travelling isn't about money
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Depends, I guess.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
Depends on the country. Living in Berlin, Germany, it’s good to escape the grey, depressive winter months. Summer is really nice in Europe, so the need for a trip isn’t that big.
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I would love to have a routine, but I don’t.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
Not sure if its too cold to go to St. Petersburg these days. Besides, I want to go skiing soon, in Switzerland.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
People and stories.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Toothbrush, neck-pillow, aspirin, mobile charger, different credit cards
14. BOOK; NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESNTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Whatever is easier to use. On short flights, it’s a newspaper, in the train, I read magazines, in hotel rooms I have my laptop, walking through the city I use my cellphone
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
I mostly don't think back.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
Tel Aviv and Copenhagen are beautiful
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
Berlin, that’s why I chose to live here.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
Berlin and most definitely my friends that live here is what I love most about it. The non-existing closing times of bars, clubs, etc. are nice too. And I love Tegel airport. Great design, easy to access, only 25 minutes taxi drive from my door.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
It was about time.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
Bushido, Tempelhofer Junge
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I love the new Grimes record, Also Skepta,
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Busy, fast, easy, drunk, beautiful
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Different from the day before and the day after
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
Food is really important to me, that’s why I love going to Israel. Their new cuisine is my thing. Once I get fat, I will get fat on Hoummus.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Abraxas (Tel Aviv),
Machne Jehuda (Jerusalem)
Grill Royal (Berlin)
Cafe Stella (Los Angeles)
ABC Kitchen (New York)
and I just had a great night at Berlins’s new michelin star restaurant Nobelhart & Schmutzig.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
I’m still figuring it out.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Revolutionize the fast-food world.
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.
Foto: Ole Westermann