HI ALEXANDER AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WANTING TO BE PART OF OUR NEVER ENDING JOURNEY ON LESS. TALK. TRAVEL. MORE.
LET‘S START OUR INTERVIEW
1. TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF. HOW OLD ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU FROM? WHAT IS YOUR JOB AND WHY IS TRAVELLING SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I was born on July 20, 1982 in Frankfurt am Main and grew up in a small village near Frankfurt. My dad is from Peru, my mom is German. I am a photographer, and I live in Basel. For me, as a person and as an artist, I have to say it is very important to travel. Not only holiday trips, also adventures. I like to explore the world and capture it with my camera. Only by travelling you can get out of your own microcosm in which we live. You can only gain from other cultures and other countries, and you can develop as a person and see many things from a different point of view.
2. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TRAVEL PER YEAR?
That's a tough question, I change my mind often between Germany and Switzerland, and in the summer I like to ride a lot with the bike. My job takes me to different places and in my dreams weeks before, I had no clue at all to ever go there.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR FUNNIEST EXPERIENCE ON A JOURNEY?
Also a tough one, but I remember myself when I was in New York on the Times Square and I hear someone call my name and I was thinking, wow this is a small world. It was a friend from Basel who was in New York. Together we went to a New York steakhouse for lunch.
4. HOW DO YOU DECIDE ON YOUR NEXT TRIP AND WHAT IS RELEVANT FOR YOU?
I decide actually after if I have had a visual idea for my pictures what I can implement at that place. This is the basic motivation for me to travel. What is also very important for me is the food and the culture.
5. WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU ON A VACATION (RECREATION; EXPERIENCE; RELAXATION; ADVENTURE; FUN)?
I want to gather experience and a bit of adventure to explore things that motivate me.
6. WHICH TYPE REPRESENTS YOU BEST?
RELAXATION OR MOTION - Motion
COURAGE OR ANXIETY - Courage
ADVENTURE OR BORING STANDARA - A little bit of both
CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE - Both
COLOR OR NO COLOR - Both
I like to by myself, but when it comes to travelling. It depends very much on your team because it can be sometimes dangerous and adventures. I can't stand still and relax when I'm travelling, and, normally, I would need a vacation after a vacation. I'm not a real Indiana Jones to discover everything ... hahaha, a good bed is important.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION IN THE SPRING, SUMMER, FALL OR WINTER .... AND WHY?
There is no perfect time in a year to travel for me. If you prefer it, you can have sun in winter too if you are traveling to the south .. .or on the mountaintop in Switzerland, there is also sun. :)
8. WHICH MOMENT OF THE DAY DO YOU LIKE THE MOST?
I like daytime the most, I like to sit in Cafés with a Cappuccino and something sweet to watch people.
9. ARE YOU MORE THE DISCOVERER OR DO YOU STICK TO YOUR ROUTINE WHEN DECIDING ON A TRIP?
I let it happen. I can't plan well in advance, it's too difficult for me, and I find this very frightening. I like tob e spontaneous.
10. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON VACATION NEXT?
I would love to go to the Aral Sea or the Gobi Desert and some large parts of Africa and the Great Wall of China.
11. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Every day inspires me. The variety of small things, flowers, beetles, for example, their color and size. But also political issues and generally the human being with his thoughts, fears and feelings.
12. IF I WOULD ASK YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER FORGET TO TAKE ON A TRIP, APART FROM PASSPORT, VISA ETC. , WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
Nowadays, unfortunately chargers!
13. TELL ME FIVE THINGS THAT YOU ALWAYS HAVE IN YOUR BAG ON A TRIP.
Camera, memory cards, batteries, tripod, lens, list is already full. ;)
14. BOOK; NEWSPAPER, MAGAZINE OR CELL PHONE/IPAD/LAPTOP – WHAT REPRESNTS YOU BEST AND WHY?
Laptop, this unit has become really small and convenient and is the most flexible.
15. WHICH MOMENT DO YOU REMEMBER MOST WHEN YOU THINK BACK ON YOUR LIFE’S JOURNEY?
I stood one day on the Golan Heights at the Syrian border. I heard the chirping birds,
a gentle breeze blew around my head and the sun was shining, and sometimes in between, we heard shots again and again, bombings, and we even saw smoke mushrooms in the distance ...
A few hours later, we were in Tel Aviv and I had one of my wildest nights.
16. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CITIES?
There are really a lot, but the most interesting places have great food, fast, easy for a great price on offer. For example Tel Aviv is one of them, or many small places in Italy and Spain, the mediterranean cuisine ...
17. IN WHICH CITY OR PART OF THE WORLD DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
I grew up in Germany, I lived in France and now in Switzerland, and I have to say it always draws me back to Germany, Frankfurt. You miss this city with all its possibilities when you can't live there.
18. WHERE DO YOU LIVE AND WHAT DO YOU LOVE MOST IN YOUR CITY?
I live in Base.,One of the highlights is simply the geographical location. I am quickly in Frankfurt and in in Germany in seven or eight minutes. Basel has an airport and the TGV takes you to Paris in three hours. Within 90 minutes, you are standing on a mountaintop south of Luzern, and in the summertime, the Rhine is the absolute highlight to take a small cooling.
19. WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO LIVE THERE?
At first I thought, I will remain one or two years now, but it will soon be eleven, and I've built up friendships here. However, I can also imagine living somewhere else.
20. IF YOU WOULD COMPARE YOUR CITY TO MUSIC, WHICH KIND OF MUSIC WOULD DESCRIBE YOUR CITY BEST?
That depends on the time of year, a very difficult question. It's a matter of taste and feeling. During the winter rather melancholic, a kind of orchestra, and in the summer definitely Bacardi feeling.
21. WHICH MUSIC ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
I prefer deep house music that floats through the night when I work on the computer. I can totally switch off and feel like being part of the universe ... then I feel like being in the middle of it.
22. EXPLAIN YOUR LIFESTYLE IN FIVE WORDS?
Rather vine than beer.
23. WHAT WOULD BE A PERFECT DAY FOR YOU?
Good food with friends and family.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE FOOD AND THE TASTE OF SOMETHING NEW TO YOU?
It is very, very important, I also like to try something new, but I know exactly whatI would like to have.
25. NAME FIVE OF YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. THEY CAN BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.
Jay's Indian Food Basel
Cafe Walden Frankfurt
and a small town near the Syrian border in Israel where I, in my point of view had the best meat in my life.
26. WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE?
Just do it.
27. WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE PLANS?
Let's see what life has to offer. :)
28. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING IN THE WORLD – WHAT WOULD THAT BE?
To develop a transporter which can bring us safely and well in other galaxies!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND THE INTERESTING INTERVIEW.
ALL THE BEST TO YOUR FUTURE PLANS AND MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU WHEREEVER YOU WILL BE.